Women’s Health: Supplementing with Essential Vitamins and Minerals
Drug stores and other retailers line there shelves with thousands of supplements, each promising that it will naturally cure or prevent some type of health condition.
The truth is that there are many misconceptions, falsities, and–believe it or not–benefits to vitamins. But finding the few good products in a sea of options can be a challenge that leaves you pulling your hair out.
The list below will explain the benefits of several vitamins and minerals common to women’s supplements.
Our bones are so vital to our everyday lives that it can be easy to forget the functions they serve. When properly and fully developed, our bones provide the framework of our body and allow us a full range of motion.
Unfortunately, proper skeletal development can be hindered due to nutritional deficiencies, specifically in calcium and vitamin D.
- Calcium. Our bones house 99 percent of the body’s calcium. A deficiency of this crucial mineral can lead to weak, underdeveloped bones, osteroporosis and even rickets in children. What many don’t realize though, is that calcium is also vital to the function of our heart, nerves and muscles. Some studies have even shown that calcium plays an essential role in protecting the body against cancer, hypertension and diabetes.[1. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/calcium-supplements/MY01540]
- Vitamin D.Though most commonly associated with bone health, it seems wrong to limit the benefits of vitamin D to a single aspect. Studies have indeed shown that vitamin D reduces risk of bone fracture (especially in older adults), but sufficient levels of vitamin D are linked to reduced risk of:
- High blood pressure.
- Chronic bronchitis.
- Pelvic floor disorders in women.
- Multiple sclerosis in children (during pregnancy).
- Overactive bladder.
- All-cause mortality.[2. http://www.greenmedinfo.com/substance/vitamin-d]
A diet high in vitamins and minerals can lead to a healthier heart, and intelligent supplementation can help ensure you don’t suffer from any critical nutrient deficiencies.
- Vitamin B9 (folic acid, folate) and Vitamin B12. According to the NY Times, there are “studies of deficiencies in the B vitamins folate and B12 have been associated with elevated blood levels ofhomocysteine, an amino acid that has been associated with a higher risk for heart disease, stroke, and heart failure.” [3. http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/nutrition/vitamin-b12/dietary-health-benefits.html]
- Vitamin B6. While best known as a brain booster, B6 does more than help your body produce vital hormones like serotonin and norepinephrine. The body also needs B6 in order to produce more red blood cells.
To boost your immune system, your diet needs to consist of foods rich in vitamins and minerals. Sometimes, we can unintentionally step away from this. Though you may not enjoy eating vitamin-filled vegetables or fruits, they will strengthen your immune system. These three vitamins and nutrients are essential to a thriving immune system:
- Selenium. This antioxidant and anti-inflammatory is said to boost the overall power of the immune system and has been used to protect against the flu. Selenium deficiency has even been linked to several types of cancer, including breast, bladder and lung cancers. According to a Harvard University report, a “large-scale, multiyear study is currently in progress to look at the effects of combining selenium and vitamin E on prostate cancer prevention.” [4. http://www.health.harvard.edu/flu-resource-center/how-to-boost-your-immune-system.htm]
- Vitamin A. According to Harvard, “Vitamin A plays a role in infection and maintaining mucosal surfaces by influencing certain subcategories of T cells and B cells and cytokines. Vitamin A deficiency is associated with impaired immunity and increased risk of infectious disease.”
- Vitamin C. This nutrient provides a plethora of benefits to the immune system. Vitamin C helps the body heals wounds, fight infection, control stress and defend from invading toxins. It even works to repair damaged tissue and control pain.
Intelligent supplementation is a surefire way to ensure you’re getting enough of these crucial nutrients. While many stores stuff their shelves with cut-rate nutraceuticals assembled from man-made ingredients, Maximized Living instead offers the all-natural Women’s Multi, which provides each of the above listed vitamins and minerals (and more!).
Our Women’s Multi is derived from 18 whole fruits and vegetables, so you enjoy all the whole-food benefits with no synthetic downside. This one-of-a-kind super supplement is always available at your Maximized Living doctor’s office, and can also be ordered online for your convenience.